National Museum of Indian Cinema
Government of India
AN APPEAL TO
FILM ENTHUSIASTS, STUDIOS, PRODUCERS, FILM COMPANIES,
CINEMA LOVERS AND CURATORS TO CONTRIBUTE TO INDIAN CINEMA
Government of India is setting up a “National Museum of Indian Cinema” in Films Division Complex, Mumbai with a view to showcasing the history of Indian Cinema. Some of the objectives of the proposed Museum are:
- To encapsulate the socio-cultural history of India as revealed through the evolution of cinema;
- To develop as a research center focusing on the effect of cinema on society;
- To exhibit the work of the noted directors, producers, Institutions etc. for the benefit of visitors/film enthusiasts;
- To arrange seminars, workshops for film makers & film students;
- To generate interest in the future generation in the field of film movement;
To realize the objectives and activities of the Museum it is appealed that suitable items, available with film enthusiast, Film Studios, Producers , Directors, Film Companies, Artistes and Curators in the field of Indian Cinema may please be made available to Films Division, Government of India on donation basis to be exhibited in the said Museum by following way :
- By organizing permanent/periodic exhibition to show the evolution of Cinema in India as well as changing phases and thematic pre-occupations of the filmmaker.
- By providing necessary infrastructure for fabrication and reconstruction of original artefacts, equipments and gadgets, which are not available or too risky for handling.
- To develop into a display cum exhibition center of Indian Cinema, to attract daily groups of local public as well as tourists from India and abroad.
- To have an on going audiovisual documentation of all important personalities that matter in the film scene of the country.
- Special mention of donor will be made against their articles, items.
Some of the Resources for display in the Museum are contemplated to be consisting of :
|a)||Artefacts||Costumes, Wardrobes, Draperies, Jewellery, and other propos and drum dance sets and Make up kits like cloth banners, holdings , three dimension Cut outs and lighting display mechanisms, specially prepared miniature models of Cinema Theatres from the early tent cinemas specially associated with landmark films made in the country like Sant Tukaram, Sikander, Chandralekha, Awara, Mother India, Pather Panchali, Mughale-e-Azam, Sholay, Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge etc;|
|b)||Equipment||Cameras, Sound recording, Editing, Laboratory and Projection equipments used from the beginning of Cinema, Cameras from manual (hand cranked to motorized ones for various gauges and electronic used for silent and sync shooting, sound recording and reproduction equipments from wire recordings, Gramophone disc recording to optical (variable density, variable area) to magnetic and stereo(Dolby, DTC) and the related equipments like microphones etc., Editing gadgets from simple magnifying glass to viewer to pedaled moviola, and multiple edged prism viewed Steenbeck and the electronic editing Avid systems.|
|c)||Films, Tapes, CD,s/DVDs||Copies of all classics of Indian and world cinema in permanent collection preferably in film format and with English subtitles. Disc records, Audio tapes, CDs/DVDs of film songs and interviews with film personalities.|
|d)||Manuscripts & Paper print material||Original hand written shooting scripts with Director’s notes and sketches, Personal diaries of film people, producer, Star, Director, Technicians, Studios, Distributors, Exhibitors Agreements and Contracts.Paper print material like Books, Journals, Film Magazines, Directories, Yearbooks, Film Festival Catalogues, Souvenirs and other publications. Still Photographs, Working stills, Slides, Transparencies Publicity folders. Wall Posters of different sizes. Song Booklets, Screenplays and Shooting Scripts; Dialogue & Continuity Sheets, Silent Film Music scores, Film can labels, Set design sheets, Art Director’s drawings, News paper Advertisements and clipping, Film Reviews and comments, Censor records, Postage stamps on film personalities brought out in India and abroad, Theatre programme notes, Cinema Tickets etc.|
Those who are willing to donate the items as mentioned above are requested to send the details in following format to Director General, Films Division , 24-Dr. G. Deshmukh Marg, Mumbai-400 026 either in person/by letter or by fax at 23513655/2351 1008 or e-mailed to Director General, Films Division at firstname.lastname@example.org. After scrutiny, suitable arrangement required for transporting the items/articles to the premises of Films Division will be made. It may kindly be noted that a donor will cease to be the right holder of the item once those are donated to Films Division.
|Name and address/ Telephone/Mobile /Email/Fax of the donor||Details of items to be donated||Size||Appx.Weight||Condition of item to be donated|